Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Hmmm... Where did I go wrong?

Happy Tuesday Everyone! I have been quite the productive little Figure Girl (lol I like calling myself a figure athlete sometimes, I mean for heavens sake that's what we train for day in and day out right?). I cooked several new recipes for you all, however none of them really turned out like I wanted. I just don't know where I went wrong. This is where I need Mister Britton to show me what I need to add or take away.

For instance I made Mini Turkey Meatloaf's.

I didn't have an actual turkey meatloaf recipe to follow so what I thought was why don't I take my favorite traditional meatloaf recipe and adjust it to my liking... That sounded like a good idea. 

First of all, they took FOREVER to bake... I put them in the oven originally for 30 mins @ 375 degrees. Since I measured them out in 2oz servings I assumed that 30 mins would cook them very well. Wrong, after 30 mins they looked like they were still raw and just beginning to cook. So I hit the timer for 15 more mins. Nope still not done, so another 15 mins. I then tasted one and it looked and tasted done but my gosh were they bland.... 

I guess I needed to add more spices and tweak the recipe a little more. I'm going to show it to Joshua, have him taste them and see what he thinks... dern it I thought these would be amazing.... my meatloaf is always so good... 

While they cooled I made some homemade ketchup. Once again, FAIL. Geezz I'm two for two here! 

This time I had a recipe and followed it just like it said but when I taste tested it as it cooked, BLAH.. I didn't even try to mess with it because I had no clue what it needed. 
At least it looks pretty in the jar ;-)
I'm going to try the recipe from here next time. When I try new recipes cooking clean or healthy sometimes it doesn't always work the first time but I'm not going to give up! I just need to experiment a little more. I just know that come contest prep, my food selection is going to be very limited and I really want to find some recipes that I know I will be able to have or incorporate in my diet. Joshua doesn't care so much about this like most bodybuilders, but I'm a "need variety" kinda girl. 

Hence my trip to local fruit stand on my way to the gym this morning. I bought some fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and was given a bag of free lettuce but it didn't look to good (that's why it was free, lol).


I ended up just throwing it out in the compost. Do you guys use a compost? Our neighbors started it and when we moved here they asked us to add to it anytime we wanted. We're just "green" like that , lol....

With my fruit stand veggies I made a little salad and added some onions and Italian dressing. All prepared in my new Rachel Ray garbage bowl. I use it for mixing stuff though. 

Of course this turned out awesome because how do you mess up fresh veggies? At the rate I'm going, I'm sure I could think of a way... 
So colorful, and YUM O!




Even though none of my new recipes turned out quite like I wanted them to, I still ate them. I mean they weren't that bad, still edible. I don't think Joshua will be trying to eat the last one or anything, but I'll manage to get them down the 'ol hatch, seeing as how I tried my bestest ;-)

Have you guys made anything lately that didn't go as planned? Tell me about it! I love hearing from you all. Here's to finding your NorthStar.....





4 comments:

  1. It does look good! Most of my recipes don't go according to plan but I post them anyway because hubby says they are good (though he may be lying to me, lol). I think I might just have grander expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to make a protein pancake. and forgot while my concoction was int he pan the egg whites to bind it all together. Tried to add it in...but didnt work lol. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. The end result on your plate looks yummy! The best way I have found to bake ground turkey is to use chopped veggies in the mixture. The veggies provide moisture. I used to make meatballs (I should make them soon actually) that had yellow, red and green bell peppers and onion in them. I pulsed the veggies in the food processor until they were finely chopped and releasing a lot of their liquid, then I mixed that right in to the ground turkey along with seasonings and scooped them out onto a cookie sheet using a cookie scoop. They are super good!

    ReplyDelete