Monday, April 18, 2011

Journaling: Tell yourself about yourself...

A few weeks ago someone asked me about journaling. I've journaled since I was little girl. I love to write so journaling comes quite easy for me and it always makes me feel better. I keep a lot of thoughts and personal opinions to myself so when I journal I let it all out, well most of it lol... When I was younger I think my Mom used to read them however I'm sure they weren't very interesting and being 8 years old I mean what would I have to really talk about, lol. As a teenager I wrote about dumb high school crap and how mean the world was. In my very early twenties (pre-Joshua days) I wrote about how hard it was being on my own. Bills, money, friends, and a solid outlook on life were far and few between. Now-a-days I journal about happier things. My life with Joshua, training for this figure competition, what I want to do after the competition, goals for the future and so forth.

When I look back at past journals I find myself laughing out loud at the ridicules things I worried about. Mostly about losing weight and how I kept telling myself that "this time was it, I was going to lose weight no matter what it took." Yeah right. Four years later and probably 48 McDonald's double cheeseburgers later I finally did it. It took motivation on my part, support and strength to get through the hard times when I just wanted to cheat or eat the worst possible thing I could find. Reading journal entries from the person I used to be has thought me so much. I have learned that I never ever want to go back to those dark days. I was totally miserable. I was sad, I felt useless and lonely most days. No wonder I didn't have that many friends running down to Atlanta to hang out with me, I didn't even want to be around myself. I also have to remember that it took those horrible years to get the place that I am at today. Incredibly happy and a look on life that I wish everyone could have. When I have those days when I just want to be left alone or want to give myself a pity party, I SUCK IT UP and focus on what I do have.

So if you have been thinking about picking up a pen and finding out who you are and what makes you tick I encourage you to do so. Imagine looking at your journal 5 years from now. Will you be surprised at how much you have changed? Will you be sad at how little you've changed? Seeing yourself through your own eye's is amazing. It truly gives you a sense of who YOU are and who YOU want to be. All of things I thought I wanted to be back then are nothing to what I want to be now. It's better!!! And I have the proof from my own personal journals.

Tips for Effective Journaling
Buy a journal that you like. I prefer lined paper. I also prefer big pages because I have huge handwriting. Here are few I found online that might interest you. 




2. Find a pen you really like. I love colored pens or felt pens however they do bleed sometimes, make to sure to get the ones that don't bleed or you wont be able to write on the back of the paper. 

Calligraphy Pen

Or maybe your a pencil kinda girl or guy,lol.



3. Find a quiet place to relax and let your thoughts flow. I like sitting in bed and writing. My room is cozy and comfortable. It's a place I can totally relax.
My Dream Bedroom 


Keep in mind that this is your journal. Keep it in a safe, private place. You can write about anything you want! The possibilities are endless!!!


Here's to finding your NorthStar....










No comments:

Post a Comment