Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Warped Self-Perception....

So they other day Joshua and I were riding in the car talking about what else.... the infamous St. Patties Day party picture from 2008 I do believe. We reference this photo often along with a few others. This picture blows his mind for the sheer fact that he thought he "looked good".
Joshua: "Can you believe I actually thought I looked good?! I mean I was working out like crazy and remember we went shopping for that shirt and I thought I was ROCKING that outfit. Geezz isn't that warped up?"

Me: "Yea I just don't ever remember you looking like that..... then again I also don't remember your hand straining to stretch out across my gut in that Christmas photo."

As we both look back on photos from the past few years we cant help but laugh. When I thought I was eating healthy I was way off track, when Joshua thought he was getting loads of protein from his 16 oz prime rib for his growing muscles he was actually getting gobs of saturated fat. No one needs a 16 oz prime rib!

As I was gaining the weight I never thought that I was getting that big. I would tell myself  that the 10 lbs I gained over the past 2 months was nothing I couldn't lose in a few weeks. But then I would try on my old "skinny jeans" from high school and I couldn't even get them past my thighs. I could remember a time when those "skinny jeans" would be my fat day jeans.

Once I started losing the weight it took me awhile to toss out those old size 12's that no longer fit. I still kept seeing myself as heavy.I wouldn't congratulate myself for losing 10 or 12 lbs. I would instead beat myself up and think I wasn't doing enough and that I would never look like I once did in high school. Now when I try on a size 6 and its a bit tight I think "in a month these will fit" and so I buy them. I buy them because I know I still haven't met my goal, however I will get into those pants if I have to wait till the day of my contest!

So when seeing yourself in a warped perception take a step back, analyze what it is that your seeing. Are you trying to rationalize why you needed that extra slice of lasagna at dinner or why your shirt doesn't fit like it used to? Don't beat yourself up, just make a plan and start making changes. Being honest with yourself is the only way your "right decision" piggy bank will start filling up....



So here's to finding your NorthStar....

No comments:

Post a Comment