Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Week 10 Update

Happy Tuesday everyone! I hope you all are getting to enjoy some of this beautiful Spring weather. I know i'm definitely loving it! We're having a little cookout tonight with Joshua's work partners at our house. We try to do this when the weather is nice.


So its been a week since I last updated you guys on our progress. Things are coming along better than expected. Joshua & I are feeling very confident and STRONG! Friday we had our 1st posing session with our coach. He really knows his stuff. When we got to his office Friday morning we went right into it. Of course I made Joshua go first, ha ha ha. He had to wear these tiny little speed o's and show our coach how much of his 8 mandatory poses he knows. Which wasn't to much seeing as how this is our first competition.

This is one of the harder poses for Joshua, he has to squeeze his thighs, abs, and arms while blowing air out to show all of the abdominals.. WHAT!!! I know!
There's only so much you can pick up on from watching you tube videos and reading articles. So much is involved from breathing just the right way so that you can hold the pose to show the right muscles to building your pose from the ground up. You have to start with your legs then move up to your upper body. Really intense! It was so funny because as Joshua & coach are going through each pose i'm paying close attention, so much so that i'm practically doing the poses with them! LOL By the time we finished with Joshua I was sweating and out of breath.

Then it was my turn. I had to wear our coaches wife's tiny competition suit (see image of the one i'm buying). These suits are so small and hard to get on and off with-out leaving scabs on your thighs..... However I felt smoking hott in it! Just the fact that I could squeeze my butt into it was a small victory in its self. So here I am being critiqued by our coach in the tiny suit and 5" platform stiletto's (compliments of my husband) and feeling sort of bare, I then remind myself there's only 2 other people in the room and I better get over what nerves I have because in 10 weeks this will be about 300 people or more looking and judging me. I  have to learn 4 mandatory poses and show different aspects of my body. Here is a short video of what i'll be doing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEV0ATLGaBI
These poses are equally as hard because i'm supposed to look "relaxed" but keep my muscles very tight. Really? There is nothing relaxing about that. However the more I practice the better I feel about it. Our coach has made some arrangements for us to meet with 2 pro's and really get us on the right path so he can continue to help us make progress week by week.

I know some of you might be reading this and looking at the videos and pictures saying to yourself or anyone willing to listen, "Why is she doing this? Why would she want to sacrifice food, time with friends & family all to look like a sparkley, tan, skinny "semi" bodybuilder? I mean I can see why Joshua is doing it, lots of guys are into bodybuilding..."

To those folks I say: I'm doing this because when I look at those women I see athletes. I see women who make sacrifices to get to their bodies in top condition. It takes hard work, dedication, and a strong desire to want to look your absolute best for 5-10 mins on stage. The money spent, the pain in the gym, and the clean diet are all just challenges and obstacles. I haven't been challenged like this in a long time. What I love most about it is that I choose this. I choose to challenge myself and with the support of my husband, family, and friends it's all slowly becoming a reality.

I want to purpose a challenge to all of you who want to take your health serious. What is one physical activity that you have always wanted to do but felt like you just couldn't commit your self to it? Is it a figure or bodybuilding competition, a triathlon, a marathon, a 5k, a long hike up and down the Appalachian...ect.. Whatever it is write it down. Make it a goal with a "due date". Research what it would take to train and get into shape for it. Take it serious but have fun! My first challenge was a 5k in 2009. After I finished I felt great. It was hard but VERY rewarding. You can do it to no matter what you tell yourself! Don't let that "warped self-perception" get in the way of your dreams and goals!!!!

Duh, WINNING!!! 

Here's to finding your NorthStar....


3 comments:

  1. Good luck on your contest prep! I'm also training for my first show in July and I find the process so exciting and rewarding. I look forward following you along.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you wrote about why you're doing this!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post!!!!

    ReplyDelete