Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Be nice....

Practicing my Snooki Poof LOL
Joshua and I are what you might consider social butterflies at the gym. Sometimes (definitely not all the time) we find it hard at the end of a workout (especially when we have nothing to do after the gym) to finish those last few set's because we get caught up in conversation. My Mamma used to say that I've never met a stranger and I would say that is true about Mr. Britton as well. Heck, even more so with him. If we happen to stop for gas somewhere and he has to go inside , OH LAWD, he'll come out 20 mins later on a first name basis with the clerk, lol. That's just how he rolls. I will say that because of his friendliness we have met some pretty awesome people and made lots of life long friends. (HI Doug and Julie!!)


This morning at the gym, before we started our work out mind you, Joshua said hello! to a guy that he's friendly with. I'm not even sure of this guy's name is but he's super nice and kinda shy. He's also a cop and BIG! Let's just say if I got into trouble, I wouldn't get to sassy with him. Any hoo, Joshua jokingly asked him, "so you gonna compete with me next year"(imagine that with a dude voice), and to our surprise he mention that he was actually in the process of going through a divorce and training for a competition would be a way to keep his mind of things ;-( How sad. You would never know from his demeanor that anything was wrong. He always comes in with the same smile and how's it going attitude, that you would never know he had something so heavy on his plate. 

Joshua instantly offered his apologies and said if he ever needs someone to talk to, have a beer with, whatever, don't hesitate to call or ask. This got me thinking. How many people do we run into or see everyday of our lives and never know what they might be going through? I've passed many people at the gym that I work out with everyday and never say a word to them just because I don't know them or feel they don't "look" approachable when that's probably not the case at all. So from now on I'm going to make it a point to be "nice" and greet folks with a smile and a "how ya doing" instead of assuming they just don't feel like talking me. You never know when someone needs to "talk". There definitely have been times when I've offered the "how ya doing?" and someone just unloads a years worth of issues and drama that has building up in their lives. However, I really don't mind at all. Sometimes I need to vent and when the opportunity strikes it just all comes out. 

So maybe today if your at the gym or work or where ever you spend a lot time, you could ask someone you don't know very well "how ya doing? and don't forget to smile big!!! 

Here's to finding your NorthStar.....

5 comments:

  1. Great post Brit! Love it! Sometimes we just forget those simple things that can make all the difference to someone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah soooo true! Im in the gym 24/7 and I kind of just get into my "zone" but you're right there are people out there who may just need to talk. and the "Regulars" you see you don't have a clue what they are going through!

    I made friends with an older lady at the gym and told her about my laser eye surgery and now shes getting ti done! so its always great to talk to people and let them know they can vent or say whats on their mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I'm also a social butterfly but I do like to get on the zone but it's hard for me to look "bitchy" and have a "do not talk to me" face.. I will smile to random people specially girls lifting with the big boys. I remember how intimidating that place was for me when I first started so now I try to make them feel welcome in there. There are some gals tho that always have a "f" off face so I always wonder what happened to them in life that they feel they need to be this way... oh well... to each their own right?

    Oh, and you look adorable in the photo missy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it:) Doug goes to the gym and makes friends for me!! He picks out good ones! xoxo Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and your husband sound like quite a match. When I am in the gym, I am so concentrated on me and my workout I do not really notice anyone around me. Maybe I should take the time to, a smile every now and then wouldn't hurt. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Beauty comes from the inside out and you have it.

    ReplyDelete